Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring tastes like...

A new season surprises the senses. Each one with its own tastes. [If you disagree, I can sign you up for seasonality training on the country side of Romania where you eat what you grow.] With every passing season, those first few bites make you fall in love all over again with the new bounty.

Three months of summer culminate in the bright and warm and juicy peach. The next three get sweet, earthy, and buttery like that fall squash. And then three feel soothing and hearty and rich like those root vegetables that braise overnight over a large piece of red meat.

Before you know it you are ready for this- spring. Fresh and tangy and crisp, clean and brisk, new and crunchy. Spring tastes like arugula, like radishes, and like asparagus. It tastes like the ramps and green garlic, the rhubarb and wild strawberries that welcome this new season.


Saturday was the first Farmers Market in Boulder. Yes- I was excited- very excited- I could hardly contain my excitement. The renewal, the green everything, the crisp air, the community revived, brought back to life, together after the long winter months. We came home happy with a little produce- mostly leafy stuff, some meats, and fresh eggs and cannot wait for each Saturday morning from now until October.

Spring Radish Bruschetta

Ingredients: 1 bunch fresh radishes; 1/2 cup loosely packed Italian parsley; 1/2 teaspoon capers; 1/4 cup fresh toasted breadcrumbs; 1 garlic clove; 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for the bread); 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice; 8 slices of hearty crusty bread.

Wash the radishes, trim them, and dice them small.


Brush the bread with olive oil and get it charred preferably over a charcoal grill. Your broiler will do the trick too minus the faint smoky-delightful flavor.


In a food processor, add the remaining ingredients. Pulse until coarsely blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the green substance with the radishes. Layer a healthy spoonful of the mixture on a slice of bread and close your eyes.


See? Spring!

Photography by Jennifer Olson.

8 comments:

  1. YUM! Certainly does seem like spring to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh and tangy...this is what I think of when I imagine the flavors of Spring. I wish I could have visited the Boulder's farmers market...I loved that market. Thank you for sharing your creative culinary explorations...you inspire me, and I'm glad to know you. I hope you have a blessed day tomorrow. Much love and hugs from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love all kinds of bruschetta but I have never tried it with radishes, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm! The bruschetta sounds fresh, tasty and easy. Thanks for a lovely and inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Spring-y! Beautiful colors, even your pink brush and nail polish are springlike...
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still a bit soon for our Farmer's markets here in the Northeast, but I can't wait! Today, we turned our garden soil with the rototiller and put up the chicken wire fence to keep the wild turkeys from rolling in the garden once the sun dries out the top layer of soil ... those tricky beasts!

    In another week, the spinach and leafy green seeds will be sown! Hurray for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. You're on a radish kick lately, eh? May I ask where the bread came from? I might have to whip this up for a little picnic snacky-snack. Radishes are everywhere here! Of course capers, good bread, lemons, parsley, and olive oil are abundant as well. With our tight budget, this should fit right in. Thanks for the idea. Can't wait to see what the next market visit inspires you to make...

    The first and last photos are great. Just beautiful. I need to get me a photog friend to do mine, since they always look like crap.

    Unrelated, I can see you're changing your choice of nail polish for the season. I'm curious to see what you do as Easter gets closer. Please don't tell me you are gonna do some pastel thing. Like baby blue, or something. Just. Don't. Black is always a nice choice though.:)

    ReplyDelete