Sunday, May 16, 2010

A little won't kill you


It is not often that this will happen- the last recipe I posted, the vichyssoise, can in fact become another soup, a very different one with the touch of a button, the blender's button, well and a bag of greens. Too often some of my recipes yield no actual meal- stock, jus, butter, preserved lemons, garlic confit- delicious, but nothing to actually eat at the end of your efforts. This is the opposite. You have your soup and you can now have a brand new one.

When I saw this article the other day, I realized that my favorite thing to do is not to try to accommodate different tastes like the author attempts but rather to figure out a way to create a whole new and from an existing one without much more effort. It is possible. Not often, but for sure today.

Without further ado, you can reserve half of the vichyssoise, and turn it into Sorrel Soup -green, slightly tangy-lemony - the taste and flavor of spring in every scoop. Sorrel is all the craze these days- it certainly has a unique flavor and it is not that easy to find so in the spring when it comes out, farmers market junkies such as myself look for it with excitement.




Apparently the unique taste of the sorrel, a sharp sour taste, is due to oxalic acid, which, turns out is a poison. This recipe is not a plot to rid the world of those willing to make it. In small quantities, sorrel and its oxalic acid are harmless, but don’t sit down with a basket of sorrel snarfing it down- large quantities can be fatal. I can report that we ate the soup and we all survived.

Sorrel Soup, a Bouchon-inspired non-lethal green concoction

Ingredients: half of your vichyssoise, 6 oz sorrel; for garnish: creme fraiche or goat cheese for garnish, and a couple of sorrel leaves cut in chiffonade.

Bring the vichyssoise to a simmer. Turn the heat off and add the sorrel leaves. The hot liquid will blanche the leaves without overcooking them. Puree in batches. I will repeat myself from some of the previous recipes- don't overfill the blender and remove the little plastic cap from the blender's lid before you turn it on. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and turn it on. This way you won't burn your hands.

Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.


Serve hot or cold with a little dollop of creme fraiche or goat cheese and a few strings of the chiffonade. Add some fresh ground pepper and enjoy!

And you have to tell me what you think of the larger size pictures!

Photography by Jennifer Olson.

3 comments:

  1. I am adding sorrel to my list of things to try! Don't worry, I won't scarf it down... I will just try your soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful colour! I have some sorrel in my overgrown garden. I'll have to go foraging later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorrel, especially wild sorrel, is a speciality from the region I come from in India. We use it to make everything from dals to curries to pulaos! For me, this is a new take on something old!

    ReplyDelete